Author Topic: HKonJ info  (Read 1796 times)

BgStkLuv

• Why Wells Fargo
  • Weekend Revolutionary
    • www.faceook.com/BigStockHancock
HKonJ info
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:55:27 pm »
INFO LIST
http://www.hkonj.com/
naacpbarber@gmail.com ---> Rev. William Barber, NC NAACP President
liberaytor@yahoo.com --> Erin Byrd, political chair of NAACP
mortgagefraudnc@gmail.com ----> Marcella Robinson
fruitoflaborwcc@netscape.com  -----> Angaza Laughinghouse, UE150 President, BWFJ leader
nlmayo5@yahoo.com --> Nathanette Mayo
rukiyad@mindspring.com ---> Rukiya Dillahunt, BWFJ leader
ajamu@ncjustice.org  -----> Ajamu Dillahunt, BWFJ leader, works with Grassroots Global Justice.
angaza2nd@gmail.com ----> Angaza Samora, black youth leader, BWFJ

Occupy NCSU is already contacted these folks in support and solidarity...I am working on it soon! I'll keep ya updated!
Charles 'The New World' Hancock

Margaret

• Why Wells Fargo
  • Hero of the Revolution
Re: HKonJ info
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:03:23 pm »
Sorry this has taken me so long to post, but I thought I would see you around.  I picked up these forms at the HKonJ rally in Durham.  I only printed off a few.  If each form pledges ten people, HKonJ will know how many how many from OR to expect.

I will be at the camp Sunday (tomorrow) afternoon.  Hope to see you then.

No real social change has ever been brought about without a revolution... revolution is but thought carried into action.
Emma Goldman

So it goes. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Tayloe

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:27:51 am »
This message from Brigid Flaherty:

Lastly, we need HKonJ volunteers to distribute BoA handbills and collect signatures for the campaign. If you're interested in helping do this for 30min on Saturday, shoot me an email or call my cell.

Much respect,
b

brigid flaherty
executive director
Pushback Network
809 Parker Street
Durham, NC 27701
917-678-8944 (cell)

Tayloe

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 02:07:10 pm »
via Brigid.

Flyer links.

StacieB

• Sr. Occupier
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:23:18 pm »
Received this message yesterday from an HJOK organizer at the occupyraleigh gmail account.

Can someone involved with planning our HJOK participation reply to this thread and respond to Rob?

Thanks!
Stacie

robstephens50@gmail.com

Dear Occupy Raleigh,

Wanted to touch base and follow up on a conversation Rev. Barber, our state NAACP President, had with an organizer with Occupy Raleigh regarding the 6th Annual Historic Thousands on Jones Street (HKonJ) People's Assembly in Raleigh this Saturday where we thousands will MARCH ON RALEIGH and challenge the extremist right wing forces in the NC General Assembly.

I'm attaching a flyer for the event, a youtube and the event on facebook and would like to request the Occupy Raleigh Movement's assistance in getting the word out about the progressive, anti-racist, anti-poverty and anti-war HKonJ Movement, which culminates every year at the People's Assembly.

What do you all think? We assemble at 9:30 AM at the historic Shaw University and march to Jones Street at 10:30 AM. Could you all help us mobilize? Let me know if I can get you all anymore information.

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYg0L-Hsdzw&feature=player_embedded
Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/events/285745504779994/

Rob

Derek C

• I Brake for De-Escalations.
  • Administrator
  • Hero of the Revolution
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:29 pm »
I will be there with proverbial bells on.

Tayloe

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 03:41:07 pm »

Jeremy_Occuweather

• Why Wells Fargo
  • Hero of the Revolution
  • I'm just here to get some direct action!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »
HUGE outreach opportunity here! Is anyone able to respond to this and help out?

Received this message yesterday from an HJOK organizer at the occupyraleigh gmail account.

Can someone involved with planning our HJOK participation reply to this thread and respond to Rob?

Thanks!
Stacie

robstephens50@gmail.com

Dear Occupy Raleigh,

Wanted to touch base and follow up on a conversation Rev. Barber, our state NAACP President, had with an organizer with Occupy Raleigh regarding the 6th Annual Historic Thousands on Jones Street (HKonJ) People's Assembly in Raleigh this Saturday where we thousands will MARCH ON RALEIGH and challenge the extremist right wing forces in the NC General Assembly.

I'm attaching a flyer for the event, a youtube and the event on facebook and would like to request the Occupy Raleigh Movement's assistance in getting the word out about the progressive, anti-racist, anti-poverty and anti-war HKonJ Movement, which culminates every year at the People's Assembly.

What do you all think? We assemble at 9:30 AM at the historic Shaw University and march to Jones Street at 10:30 AM. Could you all help us mobilize? Let me know if I can get you all anymore information.

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYg0L-Hsdzw&feature=player_embedded
Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/events/285745504779994/

Rob

AkaAnnieJ

• Committed Occupier
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:44:44 pm »
I'd like to post this HKonJ march on the Occupy Raleigh Facebook page, but I don't know how to post it as an event we like but are not "endorsing" as an Occupy Raleigh event, per se--meaning it's not an officially endorsed Occupy Raleigh event (via g.a. process). When I posted an event falling into this gray category last week, somebody griped about it.

We need guidelines for what events we post and endorse as Occupy Raleigh and how we present those that we might like but aren't necessarily responsible for. We need boilerplate introductory text that specifies these situations, as I see it:

1) Occupy Raleigh events--events we initiate, endorse (via g.a.), organize, and present.
2) Occupy Raleigh events--events we endorse (via g.a.), and help organize and present in partnership with *other* organizations.
3) Occupy Raleigh--events we endorse (via g.a.) but have very little other involvement
4) Events of Interest--events we like but don't "officially" endorse (via g.a.); members of OR may or may not participate/contribute to presenting the event as autonomous actions.

For whatever category it falls into, how do I introduce the link or the text describing the event, so people don't get their panties in a wad about it?

meredithd

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:28:59 pm »
Unless I'm missing a post, it doesn't seem like we've talked about meeting up and carpooling over. It's going to be crazy, and might be hard to find each other if we don't arrive together. How about meeting at the camp at 9?

Tayloe

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 06:43:45 pm »
Good idea. We did kinda loose each other at the mlk march.

Tayloe

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 06:44:48 pm »
Did you get a hold of Rob, Charles?

jo

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 07:30:06 pm »
  I'm wondering how others here feel about Rev. Barber.  Let me begin by saying that I appreciate his leadership in the struggle against  school resegregation, and that I have participated in past historic Ks marches, and that his  NC NAACP seems less elitist than some other branches of the NAACP.

On the other hand, I have been disappointed by his failure to speak up for Occupy, as if financial inequality was not connected to racial inequality.

Also, I feel, as custodian of the great legacy of the civil rights era, he hasn't done enough to connect it to the issue of today's version of Jim Crow: the undocumented Latinos.  There is always a Latino presence at his rallies and marches, but Barber doesn't seem to reach out. You can't keep the past alive by embalming it.

Anyway, family obligations will force me to miss Saturday's event. I'd be happy to hear how things go, and what others think.

Tayloe

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 12:10:12 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMpWeD61O_w&noredirect=1

Rev. Barber at today's UNC protest.

Powerful.

StacieB

• Sr. Occupier
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 12:33:02 pm »
My opinion is that we can use the Facebook page to spread the word about events related to our cause and don't need tight guidelines that every event has to be approved by GA to be posted to the Facebook page.

We need the flexibility to spread the word about working group meetings, events working groups have planned, and community events we've been invited to participate in (like MLK march and HJOK (or the AFL-CIO event last November) without limiting that sharing of information.

When I posted about HJOK, I included a link to their website. I think that makes it clear that this is not an event that Occupy Raleigh has planned individually.

Thanks,
Stacie

I'd like to post this HKonJ march on the Occupy Raleigh Facebook page, but I don't know how to post it as an event we like but are not "endorsing" as an Occupy Raleigh event, per se--meaning it's not an officially endorsed Occupy Raleigh event (via g.a. process). When I posted an event falling into this gray category last week, somebody griped about it.

We need guidelines for what events we post and endorse as Occupy Raleigh and how we present those that we might like but aren't necessarily responsible for. We need boilerplate introductory text that specifies these situations, as I see it:

1) Occupy Raleigh events--events we initiate, endorse (via g.a.), organize, and present.
2) Occupy Raleigh events--events we endorse (via g.a.), and help organize and present in partnership with *other* organizations.
3) Occupy Raleigh--events we endorse (via g.a.) but have very little other involvement
4) Events of Interest--events we like but don't "officially" endorse (via g.a.); members of OR may or may not participate/contribute to presenting the event as autonomous actions.

For whatever category it falls into, how do I introduce the link or the text describing the event, so people don't get their panties in a wad about it?