Author Topic: Reminder: TRAC meets every Sunday at 2 PM!  (Read 4047 times)

Tayloe

Re: Reminder: TRAC meets every Sunday at 2 PM!
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 12:25:58 pm »
TRAC Minutes 1/15/12

- We developed a Mission Statement: TRAC is dedicated to pursue and evoke change for the 99%, by engagement of the political process.

- We can amend that at any time.

- We discussed the pros and cons of registering as a Lobby.

- A decision was made to to issue a press release, and publicly declare the 3/25 'Greensboro Call' action.

- Discussion on 1/25 tactics. Bill Faison will read our letter into the record. We will comment as well at will. We will announce that our letters will be delivered, and will ask that their content be read, and addressed. We will hand them to Bill, and any other Representative/Senator who is willing, as a media event following the session. A time will be arranged for Bill and whomever to open and read them privately. Rachel will attend as part of her research.

- Discussion on Ustream and Skype, so to lower our carbon footprint and involve those that can't attend meetings - and for archiving and transparency. Skype can display a dozen or so participants at once. Comments can be offered by all. A laser projector can display a 40-100 inch screen, so all in attendance can view. It can also be used to facilitate meetings through power point, shared documents, video footage, etc.

- 1/20 action at the legislature 10a. Modernization of NC Banking Laws. Jeremy and Margaret are developing a prepared statement to read at that session.

- Discussed how best to organize against ALEC. Vet the associated politicians, engage the media, flyer, demonstrate, get permits to camp and rally at the small area next to the NCGA.

- Get permit for camping by NCGS for SWGA 2/18 if desired by OR.

- Report back from teleconference with Bill Faison and Jeanne Bonds. Stacie upped to develop and distribute press releases. Chris can team up.

- Discussed 'Greensboro Call'. Kevin is heading up our response. Look for your opportunity to contribute on calender soon for 1/21.

- Discussed joining in actions protesting Extraordinary Rendition. Margaret will keep us apprised.

- Signed 'Thank You" card to anonymous donor that Liz designed and created. Will have at 1/22 rally for ops to sign.

- Discussed need for TRAC spot on forum. Announced on Forum, announced at 1/17 GA. will be proposed at 1/18 GA.

- Discussed 'mock funeral' for 1/21 rally, to 'bury' Citizens United. Margaret has written the eulogy and will read at wake.

- Mentioned a need to organize around getting $ out of politics.

Feel free to amend or add to these minutes. Much is from memory. We recorded the session. It will be made available when and if possible at some time in the future. Next TRAC meet 1/21 2p in Library. Co-facilitation is encouraged. Add agenda wants here.

Tayloe

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 01:03:36 pm »
+1
From Margaret - For 1/21 action:

I have sent a copy of my eulogy for Saturday's events.  I've tried to tighten it up and strengthen it.  Take a look.  I'd appreciate your feedback.

I guess you can't sent an attachment with a PM.  Excuse me while I cut and paste.

Eulogy for the American voter

Dearly beloved occupiers and friends, we are gathered here today to mourn the passing of a founding principle of the United States.   This tragedy occurred because five justices have no respect for the American voter.  Exactly two years ago, the concept of ‘one man, one vote’ was killed by the United States Supreme Court.  We have been taught that every court in our land is impartial.  Shouldn’t the highest court in the land be subject to the same standard?   Supreme Court justices must not bring personal political beliefs into their decision making process.  Instead, the Court’s cynical, partisan decision has destroyed a fundamental right of every American citizen.   

In dictatorships it’s not unusual or unexpected that the judicial system is corrupt and biased. In America, it has always been a source of pride that our judicial system was fair and followed the guidelines set down in the Constitution.  Those days are over; a biased Supreme Court allowed an unprecedented amount of corporate donations to candidates.  In the Court’s opinion, corporate contributions may remain anonymous, no matter how large the donation.  America integrity has been compromised. Our Constitution has been trampled.

Justice John Paul Stevens, in a dissenting opinion joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Brayer and Sonia Sotomajor, said the court's decision “undermines the integrity of elected institutions across the nation.  The court's opinion is thus a rejection of the common sense of the American people who have recognized a need to prevent corporations from undermining self-government since the founding and who have fought against the distinctive corrupting potential of corporate electioneering since the days of Theodore Roosevelt."
We have a difficult task ahead of us.  Congress and the States can overturn a decision by amending the Constitution.  Congressmen and Senators must propose a constitutional amendment overturning Citizens United.  Two-thirds of the House and Senate must approve the proposed amendment.  It is then sent to the states for a vote. Three-fourths of the states must ratify the proposed Amendment.  This is not as impossible as it sounds.   Half the states joined in a brief when the Supreme Court was considering Citizens United.  The brief said that elections and unlimited corporate spending do not belong together.  We must undertake the task of convincing our fellow citizens to insist that a constitutional amendment must be passed.   We must inform and educate.  We must demand that our congressmen and senators pass an amendment to overturn the Citizens United decision.  We must demand that our state legislators ratify this amendment.

Another process which can overturn a US Supreme Court decision was demonstrated by the action of the Montana Supreme Court.  Montana’s top court restored its century-old law banning corporations from directly spending on political candidates. Contradictory rulings cannot stand.  Legal experts believe that upon appeal, this case will come before the nation’s highest court.  While there, it could serve as the first test of the precedents in the infamous Citizens United decision that essentially allows unrestricted corporate spending in campaigns.  We urge the State of North Carolina to pass such a law.  We urge our Supreme Court to follow Montana’s bold path.

This death is tragic for us, but it is much more tragic for future generations, who will only experience elections decided by corporations and lobbyists.  For the sake of our children and their children, we must remain strong and steadfast in our principles.  For the sake of our children and their children, we must remain strong and steadfast in our principles.   We cannot allow this sacrilege to continue.

There is hope for resurrection and renewal only if we keep fighting this injustice, for as long as it takes.  Unless we resist and resist strongly, a small group will continue to own our political system.  We must speak the truth.  Corporations are not people.  Money is not free speech.  The political system must be transparent.  If we allow this abomination to continue as the law of our land, we will be complicit in the total annihilation of our democracy.  We must repeat these truths over and over until our elected and appointed officials understand our words.

Antonio

• Why Wells Fargo
  • Hero of the Revolution
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 11:50:08 am »
From Name/Email: sean kosofsky / sean@blueprintnc.org

Subject: sean@blueprintnc.org
I want to know if there is a way we can help.

Can someone contact me.

Sean

I looked up their site at: http://blueprintnc.org/

Below is their "About Us" blurb:

Blueprint North Carolina is a partnership of more than 50 different local organization. Our goal is to influence NC state policy so that people here benefit from more progressive policies such as better access to health care, higher wages, more affordable housing, a safer, cleaner environment, and freedom from discrimination.
Not always have we mistaken mimicry for mastery, or pretending for knowing, or enslavement for freedom - Sunni Patterson

There are no such things as persistently failing policies. - Robert Higgs

Tayloe

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 11:04:30 am »
Reminder that TRAC meets today at 2p. Location has been moved to Morning Times.

Kevin Quirk

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2012, 12:14:43 pm »
+1
I have posted the first draft of the NC Call to March to the Statehouse under the Statehouse March thread on the general discussion board. I will bring copies to TRAC today.

Thanks,

Kevin

Tayloe

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 12:18:38 pm »
 :)

Tayloe

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:41 am »
TRAC Minutes 1/21/11 meeting at Morning Times. 9 present. 2via Skype.

Molly - Report back from her anti-foreclosure trip to Charlotte. Filled in for Marcella. Joined in a press conference for Protest DNC.org. Had 2nd press conference in front of BOA. Attendance flowed in and out, as it was lunch time. Bank manager asked police to arrest. (right) Served to notify week of action at BOA.

Jeff - Would like to partner with other groups for Earth Day action. Liz to help organize. Focus on April 25.

Tayloe - 1/20 action report back. Margaret and I attended banking regulations session. Commissioner introduced wording changes in Banking Law Modernization Act. Bill Draft 2011-ROz-10 [v.5]  (12/05). He commented that: He is working with AG's nationwide on regulation effort. Cited Country Wides settlement for mortgage malfeasance. His work is in the best interest of citizens. Change wording from 'banks serve market, to banks serve public. He wants internal dealings restricted to concurrent participants. If not kept confidential, than banks will be subject to examination any of 50 states. Would prefer that be limited to 1 (fed). Correct abstract language in 53-304. There are people we don't want in the banking business. Future may include more community banks. (Chair: How would you determine confidence of the public?) We have a problem with that now. Set conditions on new charters. Reduce board members from 20 to 15. Add provisions to make sure banks succeed. Not a good idea to disclose bank ratings at any time. Foreclosures 2-3 years away from current spike. Commercial industry next. Significant issues in coming year. Banking industry not currently profitable. Usually operates at +1.4%. Now in the negative. 53-4-2 reduces director liability. 53-4-5 Allows foreign nationals on boards. It will not allow criminals. Change that $1000 in separate account no longer be required for board membership. Reduces liability. Largest banks on Ala. owned by Spanish. Need capitol. Must take from wherever we can find it.( Rep.: Banks sitting on a lot of cash. Unwilling to loan public. Feel safer lending to large corporations.)Regarding oaths board members take - Banks are different from other companies. They are subject to the public trust. 53-4-6 Takes out shareholders right to sue. We were not recognized to comment at session end. Had a good conversation with Sargent of Arms after. Lunch in cafeteria. Looked at auditorium that is open for public use during open hours. Might be nice to use for statewide ga.       

Kevin - Kick back Greensboro call addition to 1/26 GA. Submitted draft for NC section. On Forum for input.

Kurt 0 I can share contacts for other NC GA's.

Stacie - Will develop press release.

Next meeting. Help develop agenda. Someone take a turn at facilitating meeting. *>)

Feel free to add to or amend these minutes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:41:51 am by Tayloe »

StacieB

• Sr. Occupier
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 04:01:34 pm »
Interesting. I am going to email Sean and invite him to the Reap-2-Sew meeting on Saturday. One of the goals of that group is connecting with other community groups.

From Name/Email: sean kosofsky / sean@blueprintnc.org

Subject: sean@blueprintnc.org
I want to know if there is a way we can help.

Can someone contact me.

Sean

I looked up their site at: http://blueprintnc.org/

Below is their "About Us" blurb:

Blueprint North Carolina is a partnership of more than 50 different local organization. Our goal is to influence NC state policy so that people here benefit from more progressive policies such as better access to health care, higher wages, more affordable housing, a safer, cleaner environment, and freedom from discrimination.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:05:23 pm by StacieB »

Tayloe

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012, 06:19:24 pm »
Thanks, Ms. B.

Margaret

• Why Wells Fargo
  • Hero of the Revolution
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2012, 10:25:11 pm »
These are my notes from the 1/25/2012 meeting of the Joint Committee on Health and Human Services.  These notes are only from the afternoon session, I think Tayloe and Molly took good notes in the morning.
No real social change has ever been brought about without a revolution... revolution is but thought carried into action.
Emma Goldman

So it goes. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Margaret

• Why Wells Fargo
  • Hero of the Revolution
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2012, 10:31:36 pm »
Oops!  My email got lost.  Here it is in full crankiness:

Please forward this email to Ms. Wood.

Dear Ms. Wood,

I'm sorry that this isn't posted in the right place.  I couldn't find the right place.   There isn't a 'General Comments' email address.  Maybe there should be?

I was at today's Joint Committee meeting about the DHHS audit; I was appalled.

While I think you did a great job, I have a few issues that you failed to mention.

Both my husband and I have IT experience, working for banks.  Every change to a system was documented, no matter how trivial it seemed.  The change in code was recorded and the reason for it was included.  Documentation is always part of the process.  It is not an 'extra';  any software firm that doesn't recognize this fact should not be in business.   The software firm and the agency (or business) may negotiate who is responsible for documentation, but it needs to be done.

Secondly, the DHHS Supervisor said that at some point, when the new system was ready, the software firm which had written the old system would stop making changes.  Then they would switch to the new system.  That's absurd.  Testing should include running the two systems in parallel.  That's an industry standard.  Both systems should produce the same results.  If that's not done, how would anyone know if the new system were performing properly?

What really appalls me is that so much money was wasted on this software; wouldn't it be a better use of taxpayer dollars to spend that money on healthcare?  I would be interested to know how much of DHHS's budget goes to actual patient  care.

Sincerely yours,
Margaret Schucker
Raleigh, NC
No real social change has ever been brought about without a revolution... revolution is but thought carried into action.
Emma Goldman

So it goes. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Tayloe

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2012, 07:44:31 pm »
I liked the best part, that embedding a chip into NC Medicaid cards would save NC 2.5 mill a day.

A day.

Do the math.