Events List from TJWJ/AFL-CIO. I'll pass along updates as I get notification. :-)
1) UNC students and workers are calling for a meeting to discuss plans to fight back against the proposed SB 575, which would strip University workers of their rights under the State Personnel Act. The meeting will be in Saunders, room 321 at 5:30 p.m. on the UNC Campus. Contact Sarah Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org
. The N&O also wrote an article at http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/20/1944544/zaina-alsous-unc-worker-rights.html#storylink=misearch
2) Triangle Jobs with Justice OC, and the NC AFL-CIO are organizing leaflettings to take place on Thursday, March 22 at Verizon stores in Raleigh and Durham. This is part of a national day of action to support CWA in their ongoing struggle with the company as it tries to force concessions on union workers despite being extremely profitable. Those in Raleigh should contact Adam Orlovich at email@example.com
. Those in Durham should be in touch with Nick Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org
. The addresses for the Durham stores are 1815 N. Pointe Dr., 5819 New Hope Commons Ext., and 6910 Fayetteville Rd. (by SouthPointe). Please RSVP so we know how many people can make it.
3) The Prison Books Collective and others are calling for a demonstration at Central Prison (1300 Western Boulevard in Raleigh) at noon on Sunday, March 25th. This is in support of the “Strong 8” who refused to work in protest of abysmal working conditions and treatment. There will also be a call in day scheduled for this Wednesday, March 14th. Call in info is pasted below the rest of the events. See prisonbooks.info for more information.
4) The United Food and Commercial Workers will be holding a demonstration at a Raleigh Wal*Mart on Tuesday, March 27 as part of a national action around the company. I will send out time and location information as soon as soon as I have it.
5) There will be a planning meeting for the Bank of America Shareholder meeting coming up on Sunday, April 1 (not an April Fools joke) in Greensboro at noon. We just had a great planning meeting with about 50 attendees from around the state and even nationally to begin pulling what could be a transformative event together. Please contact Brigid Flaherty at email@example.com
for more info or to RSVP.
6) We (Triangle Jobs with Justice Organizing Committee) will be hold Workers’ Memorial Day event on Saturday, April 28th (time and location TBA). This day is noted around the country to shine a light on workers who have died or been seriously injured in the workplace. A committee has formed to make this happen. The first planning meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 13th. Food will be provided so RSVP if you can. Contact Tom O’Connor at firstname.lastname@example.org
to get involved.
7) A May Day event is being planned in the Triangle for Durham and planning has begun. The next planning meeting is set for Monday, March 26 at 7:00 at 703 Cleveland St. in Durham. Contact Katya
Roytbird at email@example.com
for more info or to get involved.
The Farm Labor Organizing Committee (FLOC), AFL-CIO will be holding their annual protest of Reynolds Tobacco at the shareholder meeting on Thursday, May 3rd in Winston-Salem, NC. They will be looking for people to serve as proxies inside as well as protestors outside of the event. Contact Justin Flores at firstname.lastname@example.org
for more info.
9) The big protest at the Bank of America meeting will be in Charlotte on May 9th in the morning. More information will be forthcoming.